Monday, August 13, 2012

I'm home!

Hey all! 
I've written a follow up letter about my trip.  If you would like a paper copy, let me know! 

I’ve been back in the states for a little over two weeks now. It still feels so strange to be home! I know there are some of you that I probably won’t get the chance to tell about my trip in person, so I decided the best way to talk about my trip would be to write a follow-up letter. In this way I get a chance to share some of the amazing things that God did with you, my supporters and prayer partners!

God’s fingerprints were all over this trip, from beginning to end. My brother Ian and I have had opportunities to go on missions trips before several times, but this was the first time that God has financially provided above and beyond what was needed. I felt so blessed and loved by the support from all of you! It was so obvious to me that God took care of me financially and caused all the pieces to fall into place.

It’s so funny to me how God takes our expectations about something, and then “one-ups” them, making it better than we could’ve imagined or wished for. I tried to go into this trip without expectations, knowing that having them can be a huge stumbling block for what God wants to do…but of course, I did have a few. I expected to grow spiritually, I expected to be challenged, I expected to serve God. All those things happened, and so much more!

When we got to India, I immediately fell in love. We spent a few days in Delhi before heading off to northeastern India, and I loved every minute of it! The culture, the food, the people, the crazy environment, it was all so amazing. When we arrived in Manipur (the state that we would be ministering in) I was struck by how different it was from stereotypical “India”. It actually reminded me quite a bit of home! Everything in this mountainous region was very green, and it rained quite a bit. It was so beautiful, and I fell in love yet again.

We had the opportunity to work with people group called the Tangkhul. They turned out to be some of the most hospitable and generous people I have ever had a chance to work with. Our team often felt that we were blessed more than we were a blessing! The Tangkhul are a primarily Christian people group, but oftentimes church is nothing more than a community event on Sunday. We had the opportunity to show them that God is so much more than a stale name. We ministered in a school one day, and had a teen tell us afterwards that he “never thought (he) could do anything for God, but after seeing other young people living for God maybe (he) could too.” It was an incredible feeling.

The ministry we were able to work with while we were there was called Spring of Hope. They support HIV affected families through many different services – a children’s home, for those orphaned by HIV; pre and post-natal care for HIV positive mothers and their children. They provide weaving and sewing jobs for HIV positive mothers and widows who cannot work anywhere else; they pay monthly school and uniform fees for children in families affected by HIV. Spring of Hope does so, so much for the community, and we got to work with them and really experience what they do.

People often ask me to share a memorable or life-changing moment from my trip. While there are so many that I could mention, one day in particular sticks out in my mind. Our team split up into smaller groups and, with the help of an interpreter, did home visits with some of the HIV affected families Spring of Hope works with. My group in particular had the opportunity to visit with three different families. Two out of the three families were widowed; all had more than 3 children, and anywhere from 1-3 people were affected in each family. I was struck so much by the joy that these people exuded, but their words truly blew me away. We asked them questions about their disease and how it had changed their lives, and in all three houses I heard the exact same answer: each family told us that “having HIV was a blessing, because it brought (them) closer to God.”

If you could’ve seen the honesty on their faces, and the joy in their hearts…I will never be the same. God taught me quite the lesson that day, and I won’t ever forget it. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 says “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” Those families are living that out. My prayer for them is that they will live to see their children grow up, before God takes them home.

There are so many more things I could say – I could practically write a novel about all God did in the short time I was inIndia. Above all else, I fell in love with the country, and God’s people there. I know that I will go back some day, and my heart is already anxious for when that time will come.

Thank you all so much for your love and prayers! It means more than I can say to know that you all stood behind me while I was gone. Please join me in continuing to pray for the Tangkhul people and Spring of Hope Ministries.


No comments: