Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day - Single awareness day?

I know this post comes a few days after Valentine's Day, aka, Single Awareness Day. Being single this year (as with every other year of my life) was challenging. You'd think after so many years, it'd be nothing to worry about. Problem is, I'm getting to this point where I do see a guy somewhere in the near future. Not tomorrow, but not necessarily 10 years from now, either. To be honest, that fact makes Valentine's Day a little bit lonely. Just a reminder of how *seemingly* happy all the couples in the world are.

While I was taking my time being a moody little drama queen, God stepped in and spoke to my heart. Does God do that to anyone else? Pick the most embarrassing moment as a teachable moment? sigh. Anyways....so, God came in and, in His still small voice, gave me the little spanking I needed. The conversation went a little like this:

God: So. You're bemoaning that it's "single awareness day", huh?
Me: Yeah....I mean, I want to wait for Your perfect man, in Your perfect timing, but...
God: But?
Me: Well, it's just hard. I guess I have the Hollywood version of what Valentine's Day should be stuck in my head. I want flowers, or even a Dollar Tree balloon!!
God: When you sing worship songs, do you mean them?
Me: What are you asking? Of course I do! I worship You, God, You should know that I sing with all my heart.
God: What about that song, "Everything"?
Me: Oh, yeah! I love that song! (beginning to hum in my head.)
God: See, one of the most important parts of that song is when you sing "You're all I want, You're all I need, You're everything." If I truly am all you want and all you need, why are you so mopey today?
Me: See, God, it's great and all....I really do mean that You're my everything. I mean, I don't have anything without You. But a guy would be nice too!
God: I'm pretty clear in the Bible. Either you're all in, or you're not. Are you?
Me: Well.....
God: If I am your everything, then you will be happy to wait for My perfect plan in My perfect timing.
Me: God, I want to be happy waiting! I don't want to be "Single-aware" today!
God: It's easier than you think. Instead of "Single Awareness Day", make today "God- Awareness Day"!
Me: ...God Awareness Day?
God: Yep. When you start to bemoan that there is no man in your life, remember the promises I've made to you.
  • I will never leave or forsake you. (Deut. 31:6) You are never alone.
  • My love endures forever. (1 Chronicles 16:34) I will never stop loving you.
  • I loved you so much, I sacrificed my own Son to be with you. (John 3:16) You are important to me.
  • Just because you don't have what the world sees as "normal" (a boyfriend), doesn't mean you don't have value. I've chosen you to inherit the whole world! (James 2:5) You have value!
  • Above all else, if you chase after Me, I will bring you the desires of your heart. (Matthew 6:33) Don't worry about it!
Me: Oh.
God: Just seek Me! Want Me! Desire Me! Everything else will come in due time!
Me: Jesus...I love you. I'm sorry that I've been moping around today. I promise to try my hardest to be "God-aware" today.

And then my next thought was, HEY! I can't be the only one who needs this reminder. So, here you go. Ladies, we are beautiful! We are special! God has a purpose and a plan for our lives (including our love lives!) Hang on! Hold on! SEEK GOD FIRST.



No comments: