Monday, November 29, 2010

Forgiveness Part 1

for·give - [fer-giv] verb
  • to grant pardon to
  • to cease to feel resentment against
Through a series of circumstances in my life, I've begun to wonder. What is forgiveness? I guess it's a follow-up on my last post about the definition of "life". Forgiveness goes by so many different definitions, mostly dependent on life experience. I assume I am not the only one who has had to make the difficult choice to forgive.

In reality, I think forgiveness might be one of the hardest actions God calls us to. The human tendency is to want to shut out, to walk away from, to shun, or to hate those who offend us. We feel that if we have been hurt, we have a right to hate or condemn the "hurt-er". It only makes sense to hate those who hate us, right?

Wrong. Oh, so very, very wrong.

Here's what I've been learning in Bible college. God should be at the basis of all we know, right? Which means that the only foolproof test for anything we believe is Scripture. In Matthew 18, Peter (everybody's favorite disciple) asks Jesus a question. I like to think it's one of those questions that shows just how much patience Jesus has for us. The Message version says "At that point Peter got up the nerve to ask, "Master, how many times do I forgive a brother or sister who hurts me? Seven?" Jesus replied, "Seven! Hardly. Try seventy times seven." (Matthew 18:21-22)

This seems to answer my original question perfectly. Not only are we called to forgive, but we are called to forgive again. And again. And again. And again. And again. Is this not exactly what the Father God does for us? It doesn't matter how much we've wronged, hurt, or saddened Him, He still forgives and loves us. He never gives up on us. He never says "I'm done! Enough! You're too dumb to be taught, I'm just not even going to try!" NO! He forgives us! Again. Again. Again. Again. Again. "And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns." (Philippians 1:6)

How could we consider doing any different? How could we even consider willfully resisting an action that God has commanded?

I have more to say, so come back tomorrow for the rest of my thoughts on forgiveness. As always, if you have any thoughts to share, please comment, and I would appreciate a follower or two as well. :)

- Theresa

No comments: