Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oy Vey

I promised myself I'd write a blog today. It's late and tomorrow's my long day, but I know that if I don't write this now, I may forget about what I was feeling by tomorrow.

First off, Haiti. Did you hear there was another earthquake there today? They're calling it an aftershock, but anywhere else it would be an earthquake. 5.9 on the Richter. I read that so far the only person killed in this tremor was a lady who had a heart attack from the shock, but that is because people are too scared to be inside.  It is so sad, yet so easy to forget about. We live in a cushy society, and in my mind, I have too much to think about already. I have school and work and friends and missions and and and. . . but how in the world could I forget to pray for them? They're going through so much devastation right now. I know that one of my coping mechanisms is to become numb. In Honduras in the barrios, I just went numb because I knew there was nothing I could do to really help and so I ignored the problem. Well, I don't know how I'm going to do it, but I'm not going to ignore this. I am going to figure out a way to keep the Haitian people in my prayers. They need all the help they can get right now. Prayer may be all I can do, but it is also one of the most powerful things I could do. I encourage you to pray with me. Try to not numb yourself to the pain of an entire nation. Please try with me to remember to pray for Haiti.

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, we can move on to the fun stuff. God is. . . AWESOME! I know, I know, I keep saying that, but I really mean it! I have been asking him to provide financially for me. So far, this is what he has done.

  • I ate out for free 3x over the weekend. THREE. count them. 
  • Then, Tuesday, my classmate bought my pastry and tea. 
  • Tuesday night I found out that my paycheck was a little more than I was expecting. 
  • The money for my RS application came in over the weekend. 
And (not financially) I GOT A PARKING SPOT LITERALLY AT THE FRONT. No. You do NOT understand. This has never happened to me. The parking lots at PCC are notoriously overfull, and it can take 30 minutes to find a parking spot. and bang. It was there. ah. . . . so cool.

I think that's all. I really must go to bed now, because I am going to try and roll out of bed early. As in, earlier than 15 minutes before I need to leave the house. Haha, yep, I'm a college student. Nothing profound tonight, but hey. I had some thoughts to write down before I lost them. :)

No comments: